Thursday, August 22, 2013

Author Spotlight: Mae Clair

I've recently had the pleasure of reading Twelfth Sun, by Mae Clair. I loved the book and asked Mae to join me again in the Author's Spotlight.





Tell us a little about yourself, please.
Thank you so much for inviting me on your blog, Christina. To share a bit about myself --I’m married to my high school sweetheart, hold a day job in real estate marketing and have been writing since grade school. I’m thrilled to finally be able to share some of my stories with others. What an amazing and supportive writer/reader community I’ve discovered online!

Besides writing, what activities do you enjoy?
I’m a voracious reader and enjoy everything from romance, thrillers and mysteries to horror, science-fiction, YA, fantasy and non-fiction. I adore cats, love old photographs, genealogy, American history, folklore and exploring old graveyards. I prefer small gatherings to large parties and would rather have a good conversation with someone than watch a movie.

What is your daily writing routine?
I wish it were daily, LOL! Because I work full-time, writing is mainly limited to one day a week. I set aside Sunday afternoons for that purpose and can usually accomplish a fair amount since it’s a set routine. During the week, I write posts for my blog and jot notes on any fresh story ideas that start puttering around inside my head.

What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
I can’t parallel park. It’s ugly when I try to, so I avoid driving to locations where it might be required. If there is a parallel parking gene, it skipped me over!

What genres do you enjoy writing and why?
For now I’m happy writing character-driven romances with a touch of mystery, whether contemporary, mythical or paranormal. Romance has a magical quality - - star-crossed loved, the triumph of overcoming obstacles, the flush of forever and the promise of an HEA. I’m a romantic sap. J

What would be your perfect romantic date?
Dinner and drinks at an intimate restaurant or pub…preferably in a small coastal town with a view of the water. Afterward, a stroll along the shoreline or meandering through a park at twilight. The evening would end with an overnight stay at a small cottage or a 19th century B&B. I love anything with overtures of stepping back in time.

How did you choose the title of your release?
I combined my favorite number and an appreciation of astronomy to create a fictional 19th century schooner. My hero and heroine become involved in the treasure hunt for an artifact rumored to have been on the vessel TWELFTH SUN before she sank in the 1800s.

Who is your favorite character from the book, and why?
I’m pretty partial to the hero, Dr. Elijah Cross. He’s a twenty-five year old marine archeologist with a PhD who looks like a street musician and has an off-the-cuff attitude. He’s got his hands full between the hunt, other treasure seekers and the reclusive billionaire who set the whole thing up, but the person commanding his attention is Reagan Cassidy. They’re paired up on the treasure hunt and he’d like to get to know her better. A lot better. Unfortunately, she’s thirty-five and considers him too young for any type of romantic involvement. He’s really got his work cut out for him in changing her mind.

How does the setting play a role in the story?
The story takes place on the eastern seaboard in a small coastal town, one of my favorite settings. I was able to draw on my love of the ocean, beach settings and a smattering of nautical folklore. And then there’s the lavish seaside mansion belonging to my billionaire, where all of the treasure hunt participants are invited to lodge as guests. It was a lot of fun creating his estate and staff.

How do you manage your schedule to balance writing with other responsibilities?
It’s rough, and like many authors, there are days I feel completely overwhelmed. If it were just home life, writing and work, I would probably find a better balance, but toss social media into the mix and it can be daunting.  I’m frequently exhausted but remind myself that’s a typical state for a struggling author. I’ve become very good at juggling priorities and going without the proper amount of sleep, LOL!  On the plus side I’m doing what I’ve always dreamed of doing - - writing stories that others are able to read. The fatigue is worth the trade-off J

Thanks for having me Christina. I enjoyed the interview immensely!

TWELFTH SUN BLURB:
The hunky young PhD knows all about seduction, but what does he know about love? 



Reagan Cassidy is settled in her life. She has a thriving interior design firm, an upscale condo, two cats, and a goldfish. As a favor to her uncle, she agrees to team up with his marine archeologist friend to validate and retrieve a nineteenth-century journal, reputedly that of a passenger aboard the doomed schooner Twelfth Sun. Finding a hunky twenty-five-year-old coming out of the shower in her hotel room wasn’t part of the deal, but it’s hard to complain…

Dr. Elijah Cross is cocky and he knows it. He enjoys trading barbs with the lovely Reagan. Barbs, and some innuendo. He can tell she’d rather get back home to her business than stick around for the extended treasure hunt they’ve been talked into, but he’s fine with the situation. At least, until the “clues” start getting personal.

Reagan finds Dr. Gorgeous is as skilled in matters of the heart as he is behind the lectern. Throw in a series of clues which mean more to Elijah than he’ll explain, several odd-ball competitors out to win the journal, a saboteur, and a lavish seaside mansion, and Reagan has enough trouble keeping her head straight, let alone her heart.


WARNING: Younger man, older woman, nautical riddles and romance.


Purchase TWELFTH SUN at:
Amazon

To learn more about Mae Clair, visit her at:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me as your guest today, Christina. The Q&A was fun and I love being able to share TWELFTH SUN. Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a pleasure to "chat" with you, Mae. Thanks for being my guest today. I can't wait to find out what you'll be working on next. Twelfth Sun was a fun read...those are the kind I like best.

      Delete
  2. I so enjoyed this interview! Christina, you asked some fun questions and Mae, it's always fun to find out a little more about you! And, um, by the way... I can't parallel park either!

    For everyone else... if you haven't read the book yet, take advantage of the very convenient buy links! You will NOT be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Debbie. Aww, thanks for the wonderful shout out about Twelfth Sun! :)

    Christina did ask some great questions, didn't she? It's always interesting and fun doing a Q&A. And great to know there is another member of the Parallel Park Failure Club, LOL! I'm positively dreadful at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must get a lot done on that Sunday afternoon, Mae. I've yet to set out a writing routine. I love exploring old graveyards too. :)

    ReplyDelete